Sunday, November 4, 2007

A Bible story and a modern day couple

Two weeks ago we met with our pastor. He already knew about Tristan but we were able to explain in more detail what we are currently going through and asked if he could come to the hospital on the day Tristan is born to do a Baby Dedication. Because we do not know if Tristan will live long enough for a formal Baby Dedication at church we still wanted to dedicate him to the Lord (just as we did with Tanner and Tayden) as we are surrounded by our family members. Our pastor happily agreed. He is currently preaching in the Book of Judges and said that in 2 weeks (which is today) he would be preaching about a father named Jephthah who vowed to the Lord that he would offer up as a burnt offering the next thing that walked through his door, obviously not realizing the next thing that would walk through his door would be his only child, his daughter. Therefore, in obedience to the Lord, Jephthah fulfilled his vow to the Lord. Our pastor asked if we would be willing to do a pre-recorded video taping of our story about Tristan that would be shown during his sermon, to be used as a modern day couple dedicating their child to the Lord. We felt absolutely honored that he would ask us to do this. This morning, during our 10:20 am service, the message will be preached, our video testimony will be shown, the invitation will be given and then our family will go down front so the church can have special prayer for us. Please be praying that our pastor's message will touch many people today, that our video testimony will touch someone - whether it be a couple going through something like Trisomy 18, a couple whose child is ill or whatever the situation, we just pray that the Lord will be glorified today! We do not believe the Lord caused Tristan to have Trisomy 18 but we do believe that the Lord has allowed it and that sometimes He calls us to suffer so that other people will see Him being praised and glorified, even in the midst of a trial.

Judges 11:30-31 says: "And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord, and said, "If you will indeed deliver the people of Ammon into my hands, then it will be that whatever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the people of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up as a burnt offering."

Judges 11:34 says: "When Jephthah came to his house at Mizpah, there was his daughter coming out to meet him with timbrels and dancing; and she was his only child. Besides her he had neither son nor daughter."

Judges 11:39 says: "And it was so at the end of two months that she returned to her father, and he carried out his vow with her which he had vowed. She knew no man. And it became a custom in Israel."

4 comments:

Kara said...

I found your blog through another and I know you don't know me, but just wanted to let you know I pray for you often! Wow, what an awesome testimony. I am praying for your family and for the service today. ALso for the hearts of the lost there today, may they be open to the words of the Lord!

Anonymous said...

My prescious Children and Grandchildren --- Ya'll continue to bless my heart with your strength in our Lord Jesus as you grow in Him and share your lives so openly with the world. I so wish I had been in the service this morning as your testimony was presented and you were prayed for...just to be with you and support you. There's only one person in our family who comes close to knowing what ya'll are going through --- it's your Grandma. Her first born son (my first brother, Richie died in her arms when he was 21 months old. She was pregnant with my second brother, Timothy. She mourned the loss of her baby as she rejoiced over the birth of her third baby. Only God can give that kind of strength during that kind of pain and joy. My 80 year old mother, you Grandma, is the most Godly woman I know and the strongest! She has consistantly turned to our Heavenly Father for strengh and direction during her many years. She prays for all of ya'll many times during the course of the day ... as do I. She and I will be with ya'll when our prescious Tristan is born. I am looking forward to meeting my 9th grandchild and holding him in my arms as I have held him in my heart since I learned he was coming into our lives. God is so good to share Tristan with us, no matter how long or how brief. "Sometimes love is for a moment...Sometimes a moment is a lifetime." (T18 Foundation) I thank Him and praise Him for this miracle. Trayc, your life has never shown brighter for Jesus. You are everything and so much more that I have prayed for in a son. And Yvette, you are the Christain woman I prayed God was preparing for my son. You have shown the strength only our Heavenly Father can give. I love you both so very much just as I love my Tanner, Tayden and Tristan. Your Mom PS: "Wherever we go, God is there...Whenever we call, God is listening...Whatever we need, God is enough."

Love The Light FBC said...

Yvette and Trayc,

I did not know about Tristan's diagnosis until this morning in church. Your strength and trust in the Lord is amazing. Please know, our family will pray for your family daily.

Kelly Everill

Angie said...

I hope the service was wonderful yesterday! I know that the story touched people, many of whom you will never meet, and I know that their prayers will in turn touch you. I love how that works! I'm continuing to pray for you all!

Angie